2020年6月15日月曜日

Professional Teacher Ann


A week ago, I was introduced to a new Ilonggo (Western Negros dialect) tutor by TinTin, my friend since I moved to Negros seven years ago. The tutor's name is Ann. She is 24 years old, English teacher for a colleague at a high school in Silay city, where TinTin works.

I had the first lesson on last Saturday with Ann. Actually, she is my third Ilonggo tutor, and I have been taught by other two tutors for about a year and a half. Even though the lesson time, from 9am to 2 hours once a week is the same as before, I was surprised that the tutor could change the lesson so much.

All three of my tutors, including Ann, were in their mid-20s and of the same generation. They graduated from colleges in Negros, have teacher licenses as well. To my surprise, the teaching style by Ann and the other two are completely different. It's like being a professional teacher and a college students during training.

When I knew only the first two, I was satisfied and I thought their teaching skills were the average in the Philippines. They always came to my house on time and prepared what I asked for. Their attitude in every lesson were good. No problem at all.

Looking back now, both of them did the only things I asked for. Strictly speaking, they had no experience teaching at Philippine schools. Originally they are teachers in a small English school for Japanese students. Therefore, they were not in the position to devise the curriculum by themselves, and their abilities as teachers are limited.

Such two of them tried to teach me Ilonggo without any textbook nor dictionary. Moreover, their only student was a Japanese who cannot speak English well. It's not their responsibility that the lesson turned into just a two hours chatting.

To be honest, I have prioritized enjoying conversations with young women over improving my Ilonggo proficiency. I rarely review what I was taught. That's natural that my Filipina wife rated the lessons as just play.

However, Ann prepared "assignment" before the first class began. I sent Ann some English sentences and asked her to translate them into Ilonggo. She arranged my reply in the form of a proper homework. I never expected her to do that.



I knew Ann was serious, so I prepared for the first lesson as much as I could. I wrote and read the 26 Ilonggo sentences over and over. The lesson was substantial because we had enough preparations. Next time she will prepare a simple test. It feels like I'm back to high school.

By the way, the sentences were very practical, to ask our house maid Lyra for daily houseworks. "Cut this vegetable," "Boil the eggs and peel the shells," "Clean the toilet," "Remove the weeds in the garden," and so on. All I've learned before. But since I didn't review, the memories were instantly evaporated from my brain.

With repeated practice, even my old and stiff head could remember this much. In this situation, I could not help my wife and Lyra not know the results of my studies. Because I was born to be a  talkative man. In just one week, the flow of learning, memory, practice and retention of memory was completed.

Ann is not only an active high school teacher, but also a "Bread Winner", who is financially supporting her family. On the other hand, the two former tutors did not have to worry about their daily living expenses. The difference may have arisen from their differing circumstances.

I don't think it's good for one's life to have a hard time in their youth. Japanese sayings include the following. "You should be willing to go through struggles when you are young." I believe it is nonsense. However, depending on the person, the hungry spirit seems to change the attitude toward work.


I think Ann had a great talent to turn difficult situations into vitality for tomorrow. So, I set the tuition for Ann a little higher than the previous two. My wife also feels very positive about her.

In the first half of 2020 it was all really bad. I hope I will be able to study Ilonggo with my new tutor and make it nice 6 months remaining.


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿